24-25.08.2017: My first meeting with my tutor, the meeting with the disability coordinator, my second trip to the bank and my health insurance

At the UvA (at least in my department), every student has a so-called "tutor", who is responsible for the student's individual (academic) progress and needs. Long before the end of August, everyone had to make a first appointment with their tutor to discuss the role of the system, how it work, what we can expet from it and what we are expected to do. Well, my appointment was on Thursday ,in the building where I have most of my classes. My tutor, who is also our seminar tutor, is a very nice lady indeed! She knew exactly what I meant when I explained to her that I work with a screen reader, that I cannot read power point presentations, and the list goes on. She said she would do everything to support me, and that I may turn to her if I ever need something. And she did mean it - she really is always there whenever I need something arranged or if I need adjustments to an assignment. She was surprised (but very pleased!) with the fact that I speak Dutch. She couldn’t believe it at first – she kept trying to explain in English what she had said in Dutch -, but then we switched to Dutch completely. She explained the function of the tutoring system and what I can expect. We discussed my new language choice, my future plans and why I chose to apply to the UvA over other universities. I also got to meet the study advisor, who is responsible for the “practical” side of university life here. Then, there was also a meeting for new students with special needs at 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Again, there was a lot of useful information about the ways to access exam support (such as extended time or alternative formats), textbooks in alternative formats, etc. I was surprised to see just how much she knows about Hungary and the Hungarian language - she even pronounced my surname correctly! We also talked about the accessibility of our campus itself, which I had noticed long before this meeting, as there is a talking lift in the building where the modern languages and linguistics department is, so I will definitely know where I am! The next day, I was supposed to turn up at the bank again, as I had received my BSN number the same week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

18.08.2017: My arrival in the Netherlands