20.08.2017: a wonderful day with wonderful people

I have had an amazing day with some Dutch friends of mine, who are very dear to me. I got to know a whole family after having known the father for a month or two (we met on mylanguageexchange.com). He taught me the very basics of the Dutch language and has been helping me since. In the very beginning, we would use English and German to communicate, but that didn’t last long: I managed to learn Dutch so fast that we were able to switch to Duch in as little as a month, and even before, I would try to use as much Dutch as I already knew. Thanks to my memory and my aptitude for language(s) (which I cannot be grateful enough for!), I turned out to learn so fast that I was able to discuss topics such as politics, healthcare, ICT or visual concepts in less than two months. I soon got to know his wife and then his three daughters, and we’ve been Friends ever since (and yes, the capital F is necessary!) They would help me with everything I needed, and today they proved to me that everything they promised online is indeed true. They even sent me a bunch of flowers for my birthday, which I really didn’t expect. It may have been a simple gesture on their part, but it made me as happy as I’d never been in a long time. Well, when he saw me for the first time, he was so moved he had tears in his eyes (or at least I think so). We spent the entire journey to Monster talking about his family, the Netherlands and Dutch culture. As soon as we reached the house, his wife and daughters all hugged me and we sat down to talk. I brought them some presents, which they were extremely happy with! We must have spent about half an hour discussing Hungarian culture and Baja. We had a quick lunch and then we went for a walk by the sea. I hadn’t enjoyed a walk that much in a very long time! When we got back, we had some icecream and another long chat. At about 6 o'clock, we had a delicious dinner. Before I forget to mention this, they’re a Christian family, but only in a good way: they always pray before meals and then thank God for them. Today, they thanked God not only for the food, but also for bringing family and friends together. When the couple took me back (the girls needed to go to bed early), they even gave me an extra table so I don’t have to eat on my desk. All in all, it was an unforgettable day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

24-25.08.2017: My first meeting with my tutor, the meeting with the disability coordinator, my second trip to the bank and my health insurance

18.08.2017: My arrival in the Netherlands